Affiliate Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I make a small commission off purchases, at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
Health & Safety Disclaimer: This post may contain workout and health advice and information, designed for entertainment and/or educational purposes. Without delay, always consult your doctor before trying out a new fitness regimen. Bodyweight MAX should not be used as a substitute for professional medical services.
Perfect Fitness is one of the more well-known fitness equipment brands on the internet, and their products are particularly strong when it comes to calisthenic exercise. That said, the Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym Pull Up Bar is just one of many doorway pull up bars vying for your attention. It shares plenty of similarities to other doorway bars out there, but what makes it stand out over the rest of the competition? Short answer: it’s the little things. Read on to understand why this over-the-door pull up bar is one of my favorites.
Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym Doorway Pull Up Bar
Equipment Type: Over-the-Door Pull Up Bar
Includes: Pull Up Bar Components, Allen Wrench, Four Screws
Features of the Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym Doorway Pull Up Bar:
- Fits Most Doorframes: The length of the bar will fit snugly over doorways between 27in-33in.
- 3 Pairs of Ergonomic Handles: These foam pads provide several options for pullup variations.
- Padded Anchors: Foam surfaces press firmly against the doorframe to prevent scratches
- Can Be Used on Floor for Other Exercises: Several options for variations of pushups, dips, and situps.
Pros of the Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym Doorway Pull Up Bar:
- Three Models Available for Purchase: Depending on your goals and budget, you can pick which ever model is best for you. All three are great (for the reasons below), but having options is nice.
- Multiple Grip Options Are Great for Variations: The “Sport” and “Pro” models have three different pairs of handles, which allow for many variations of pull ups. Of course, you don’t HAVE to use the foam handles – for example, bring your hands together over the metal part of the bars for close-grip pull ups. The “Elite” model has even more options for variations.
- Foam Grips and Cushions: They are thick and soft, which definitely helps prevent calluses. The cushions on the anchors with the Pro and Elite models keep the paint on your walls from getting scratched.
- Customer Service Is Helpful: In case something is missing or broken in your order, all you have to do is either email Perfect Fitness or go through their website and explain the problem. Most likely they will fix the issue at no extra charge.
- Good Prices: All three models are fairly priced based on their unique features. I recommend the Sport model for those who are just getting started with calisthenics – it is the cheapest but is still great.
- Portable: It may look a little funny to carry this around with luggage, but the bar is still light and doesn’t take up too much space in a car. The Sport model is the smallest, but they are all easy to take with you.
- Fits Most Doorways: This is something that frustrates a lot of buyers, but the cushions definitely help the bar fit doorways even if there are thick moldings over the tops of the frames – up to 6in in thickness, and some have even been able to squeeze it over 6.5 inches! If not, customer service will help you with a refund.
Cons of the Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym Doorway Pull Up Bar:
- Assembly Directions Are Poor: Despite the simplicity of assembly overall, I am the type of person who NEEDS to follow step-by-step directions that are clear, precise, and detailed (with pictures). Furthermore, you may need to adjust the screws while the bar is actually hanging in the doorframe – a second person to help may be good for some people.
- Foam Pads Wear Out With Time: The pads are great, don’t get me wrong. But if you do pull ups as regularly as I do, then it is only a matter of time before they start to thin out. The Elite model is a bit better since there is simply more foam to grip.
- Potential Lopsidedness: Since this is assembled by the buyer, you won’t know how even everything will be until it is completely assembled. Many adjustments may need to be made depending on how tightly you screwed it, your doorframe, etc.
- The Sport Model’s Padding Isn’t As Soft: The cushioning that presses against the wall has much less surface area and isn’t very cushioned, so it may eventually slightly dent the door frame after a lot of use.
Is it worth the price?
For the number of pull up variations its three models provide, plus the option to use it on the floor, the Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym Doorway Pull Up Bar, in my opinion, is one of the best over-the-door pull up bars that you can find. It fits securely over most doorways and is easy to take down, has thick cushioning to protect your palms, and allows you to do all kinds of pull ups (and chin ups). Look over the three models, determine which makes the most sense for you, and get to pulling! The Elite is obviously the best but it’s also the most expensive. Still, the other two models are great as well.
For other over-the-door pull up bar recommendations, check out my guide on which is best for you. Do you have a Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym Doorway Pull Up Bar, or a different brand? How has it been for you? Let us know in the comments below. And of course, remember to stretch!
My score: 4.5 out of 5