Affiliate Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I make a small commission off purchases, at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
Health & Safety Disclaimer: This post may contain workout and health advice and information, designed for entertainment and/or educational purposes. Without delay, always consult your doctor before trying out a new fitness regimen. Bodyweight MAX should not be used as a substitute for professional medical services.
Animal House Fitness – Monkey Feet REVIEW
Now and then I’ll come across a fitness product that makes me say “you can’t be serious!” out loud. John McEnroe reference aside, some of these pieces of equipment are so ridiculous that their very existence seems like a joke. But RARELY, I find a company like Animal House Fitness. Their main product, Monkey Feet, look a little silly upon first glance, but if you actually think about it, your legs will gain strength like crazy while saving you time and space in your home gym. As a calisthenics lover, the Monkey Feet are particularly great because all the leg workouts that the Monkey Feet target wouldn’t be nearly as effective without this obscure piece of equipment. Check out my Monkey Feet Review to learn more!
Animal House – Monkey Feet Specs
Equipment Type: Slip-On for Shoe (“Other”)
Weight: 1.2 lbs
Dumbbell Clip: Can hold diameters between 1.45 inches and 5 inches
Shoe Size: Fits most shoe sizes up to 14 men’s (US)
Sold Individually: Can slip onto either foot
Refund Policy: 30-day guarantee
Warranty: 1-year policy for defects. Contact Animal House Fitness for defects after 1 year.
Animal House Fitness – Monkey Feet: What Can You Do With It?
Yes, I was very skeptical about this goofy looking product too… until I saw the ways you can spice up some amazing bodyweight exercises that I personally don’t find myself doing very often. With Monkey Feet, my leg workouts have changed in a great way.
Here are the four main leg exercises you can do with Monkey Feet:
- Hamstring Curls
- Donkey Kicks
- Knee Raises
- Leg Extensions
In addition, many of the abdominal calisthenic exercises I do involve using my legs and feet. Therefore, Animal House Fitness’s Monkey Feet are also great for the following ab workouts:
- Hanging Leg Lifts & Knee Raises
- Hanging Bicycle Kicks, Windshield Wipers & Scissor Kicks (if you have two Monkey Feet)
- Bicycle Crunches on the Floor
- Knee Drivers
- Hollow Body Holds and Leg Lifts
- Dead Bugs
- Seated Leg Lifts and Knee Tucks
- Planks with Arm & Leg Raises
- V-Sit (if you have two)
- Floor Bicycle Kicks, Windshield Wipers & Scissor Kicks
You can do MOST of the above with a single Monkey Foot. Just switch shoes when you want to hit the other side.
And as a random bonus, let’s add in a chest-tricep workout in addition to abs and legs:
- Spider Push Ups
Animal House Fitness – Monkey Feet: Pros & Cons
- Great for calisthenics. Doing lower body workouts with just your bodyweight will eventually leave you behind in terms of strength, muscle definition, and hypertrophy. But with the Monkey Feet, you can consistently improve your leg strength with calisthenics without feeling like you have to play catch-up. Certain calisthenic skill progressions, like the L-Sit and V-Sit, can also be improved with Monkey Feet.
- Hit the legs hard! Go beyond squats and lunges! You will be able to strengthen your legs in ways that you haven’t before. I NEVER did moves like knee raises and donkey kicks because they felt ineffective from a calisthenic standpoint. Animal House Fitness changes that with the Monkey Feet.
- Goes beyond leg workouts. Like I mention above, the Monkey Feet are great for abdominal work, too. It doesn’t take too much thinking to figure out all the ways to take advantage of this funky little product.
- One-Size Fits Most. The Monkey Feet are easy to adjust and should fit over your shoes without too much trouble. The clip for dumbbells also shouldn’t cause any trouble, since it fits most handles.
- Better than ankle weights. Since you can clip on a dumbbell of any weight, the pre-weighed ankle weights you may have lying around your home gym are most likely obsolete now.
- High-quality. You can use this item without worrying about it breaking. If it does, the warranty is generous.
- You only need one. Obviously, two would be ideal for a few of the exercises I’ve mentioned (and maybe some I haven’t). But really, you just need one Monkey Foot to get by for the most part. Just switch shoes between sides.
- Easy to put on. Simply slide it over your foot and crank it a few times to ensure it’s snug.
- Saves space. The convenience of the Monkey Feet is great. It’s a small, lightweight item, and when you’re done with it just move it out of the way.
- Takes some getting used to. The Monkey Feet feel pretty awkward at first. You should only put it on when you’re in position for its dedicated exercise(s). You don’t want to walk around with this thing on! It’s also not exactly comfortable… not that it’s supposed to be.
- One size fits most… again. There are a few negative reviews of people complaining about the Monkey Fit not fitting their shoes as well as they should. If one pair of shoes doesn’t work for your Monkey Feet, try a different pair and see if that one is better. And in my case, I work out barefoot! So it’s another adjustment in that regard for me.
- Use caution when starting out! You will be surprised at how strange it feels to have a heavy dumbbell strapped to the bottom of your foot. This is different from a machine or bodyweight exercise. To stay safe, start with a lighter weight and move to a heavier weight once you “get” how it all works.
- Plastic straps. Like a ski or snowboard shoe, the Monkey Feet has ridged plastic straps to tighten against your foot. However, the fact that this is intended to hold heavy weights and be lifted and lowered repeatedly may cause wear and tear on the cheap plastic straps in time.
Animal House Fitness – Monkey Feet Review: Overall
Did Animal House Fitness intend for their Monkey Feet to go so far beyond leg workouts? Maybe, maybe not. Either way, this is an innovative and exciting new product that I definitely recommend to my fellow bodyweight enthusiasts! Finally, some variety to our leg workouts! And as always, remember to stretch!
My Score: 4 out of 5
Do you own an Animal House Fitness Monkey Foot? Let me know how your experience has been in the comments below!